Gio Compario is GoCompare Opera Advert

Gio ComparioGio Compario is the new advertising opera singer brand character for GoCompare.com. Attempting to emulate the fantastic success of CompareTheMarket’s meerkat campaign, GoCompare are using a similar tactic.

Here it is:

The marketing campaign has been created by the dynamic duo of Sian Vickers and Chris Wilkins who are also guilty of producing the esure Mister Mouse, the direct line red phone and that unbelievable Sheila’s Wheels advert.

Go Compare Advert Lyrics

We’ve had so many requests for gio’s lyrics that we needed to provide them. To impress your friends and coworkers with your opera singing:

gocompare gocompare
to be sure when you insure first gocompare
when your choices are many
you could save a pretty penny
when you go online to gocompare
gocompare
when in doubt check them out
gocompare
with just a few clicks and your spondoolicks
and you’ll thank your stars that you went to gocompare
yes you’ll thank your stars that you went to gocompare

GoCampare have been awarded the most irritating advert of 2009:

{ 1 trackback }

Lets Have the Savings – Moneysupermarket Advert | Mortgage Rental & Loans online Resource
August 24, 2009 at 11:13 pm

{ 77 comments }

Si August 19, 2009 at 8:31 pm

Here is the link to the new go compare TV ad on YouTube, people will talk about this one for sure

Jonathan August 20, 2009 at 7:38 am

I know, enough already but I gather MoneySavingExpert are also going to emulate the meerkat campaign, any rumours on the theme.

Ernest August 20, 2009 at 3:52 pm

I don’t think Compare The Market will be that bothered. That advert is truly dreadful. Concept is poor. Script and lyrics are poor. Acting is poor. Production is very, very poor.

Surely if Go Compare were going to do this properly, they’d have a “giocompario” domain acting as a microsite to back up the ATL campaign. Serves as a useful link building weapon if nothing else.

Jason August 20, 2009 at 5:10 pm

They do at:

which I got via a redirect at http://www.giocompario.com/

Will August 21, 2009 at 9:25 am

errrr…this is crap! WTF? one of the best worst ads of all time! sack the creative agency, media agency and while you’re there, sack the client too! Whoever approved this should be hung drawn and quartered. Slowly. Very, slowly.

Ed August 21, 2009 at 12:26 pm

I really like it. Great stuff.

Tron August 21, 2009 at 1:52 pm

I think it is very similar to the uSwitch advert. At least in terms of concept. It definitely has more in common with that then it does with CTM Meerkat.

wina August 22, 2009 at 7:28 pm

pile of garbage…. lousiest ad ever…

Phil Spoocy August 24, 2009 at 11:08 am

I guess the test of any ad is: are people talking about it?…..and in this case, yes you are……… :)

Roy Bohan August 24, 2009 at 1:58 pm

I work for a small business insurance broker and regularly visit here to see what is going on. Obviously cannot compete with the big personal lines companies but like to see what tricks they are up to (as an aside how can directlineforebusiness get so high, so quick for business insurance? – I have bene struggling to work it out)

Anyway, felt compelled to leave a comment.

The only reasons the shad (combination of sh** and ad) is being talked about here is because a) it was mentioned and b) because it really is that bad.

Not sure giocompario is going to have thousands of facebook followers and kids singing the catchline.

Have not been followin the ups, downs and bans of gocompare for a few weeks but is it the ad that has helped push them to nowhere land at the top of page 2 for car insurance?

Tron August 24, 2009 at 4:17 pm

Think there is a bit of bad press on here. Perhaps a little unfairly. The advert, whilst not exactly ground-breaking, is a lot better than some of the insurance adverts out there.

Pleased to see that they are at least moving away from traditional man on camera type executions. Even more thankful that we don’t have yet another online brand featuring computers through-out the creative, as if to illustrate that your computer might be the best place to locate this new fangled and mysterious interweb place.

@Phil Spoocy – sorry to disagree, but I think the test of any advert in this instance is going to be on the Hitwise (or similar) reports.

@Roy Bohan – Can’t say for sure, but I don’t think this advert has anything to do with increased prominence on the SERPs. They have been enjoying this for a couple of weeks now, and that ad was only launched last week. I would have a read into the Google “Vince algorithm” which might explain these changes.

George August 24, 2009 at 9:25 pm

For those wondering about the singer ‘Gio’:
The new song was recorded by Welsh opera singer Wynne Evans, who also plays the part of Gio in the TV campaign.

Phil Spoocy August 25, 2009 at 12:30 pm

@Tron take your point. Of course the point I am making is it is easy to criticise but the fact that people feel compelled to say how bad it is shows it is provoking a response, not neccesarily the one intended but you can take it as given it will raise awareness with consumers and is part of the cycle. For what it’s worth the Meerkats initially got a frosty reception when the concept was presented to the CTM / Budget hierachy….

sheila menyena August 31, 2009 at 8:55 pm

opera advert best one i have seen beats every other advert

MiraG September 2, 2009 at 4:48 pm

Err… Thanks for that insightful comment Hayley!

gaz September 15, 2009 at 4:31 pm

I know this add is bad but just think how many people have the tune GO COMPARE!! in their heads and how many of them will now look up the site… it’s the bad ads that stick in your head.

Gio Fan September 16, 2009 at 11:15 am

I’m sorry that some of you appear to strongly dislike this advert. I think that it’s remarkably good, and I am still throughly enjoying it each time I see it. It also has the virtue of ensuring that the brand name is remembered. In one current advert I find irritating, a girl momentarily thinks that a doll’s jeans are her own, having shrunk in the wash. What an insult to the intelligence! Also, as I think about it now, I have no idea what the product being promoted is. In contrast, this operatic advert, if only briefly, brings quality and culture into the life of the TV viewer.

Hien September 18, 2009 at 1:46 pm

I F**KING love this advert!
It reminds me of an annoying colleague in the office…
Its good to know that I am not the only one suffering, ‘When you are not suffering alone, its funny’

Boogyboy September 22, 2009 at 8:52 pm

What a load of art farty moaners I think the advert has done exactly what it is meant to do, stick in your mind. I know the punch line is obvious but I still laugh when I see it, even though I knew what was coming. Lighten up all you “experts”. I presume you all work for the Meerkats.

irestar6 September 28, 2009 at 6:44 pm

does anyone know where it was filmed? It looks familiar to me.

Tim Pritchard September 28, 2009 at 9:34 pm

I think it is sadly a case of trying to copycat the market Meercat, its easy to understand why. Sure it’ll be very effective albeit panned by the trade.

@irestarb Its filmed in the Apostrophe cafe in Baker St, opposite the Publicis offices

joanna September 29, 2009 at 10:24 pm

absolutely the worst advert i have ever seen!!! oh my shit no advert has ever made me so angry ever time it comes on i wanna throw stuff at the tele i dont really like the meerkats but id pay good money to watch them instead of this waste of time!

honestly no words can desribe how much i hate it! haha

etc300 September 30, 2009 at 1:36 am

Only thing this advert makes me want to do is beat that fat prick Gio round the head with baseball bat.

andyroo October 3, 2009 at 7:44 pm

The guy in the pale blue shirt what programmes has he been in before?

Julie October 3, 2009 at 9:53 pm

What is the name of the guy on the right of the picture at the front who says, ‘he’s only a tenor’

Ross_s_cfc October 9, 2009 at 11:21 am

This advert makes my blood boil !
I feel an uncontrollable hatred for the fat moron singing and prancing around, im not a violent person by any manner or means but i honestly dont think i could prevent my self from shattering that guys eye socket through some sort of blunt force trauma probably administered with repeated blows to the face with a ball pein hammer

Roger The Cabin Boy October 12, 2009 at 10:44 pm

Just posted by Mr G. Swann – the England Test player:

“does anyone know if the parties responsible for the go compare opera adverts have been slain yet? i have a nail gun if it’s needed?”

Emmanuel October 14, 2009 at 10:26 am

I think the singing is Treble (terrible)

Me October 20, 2009 at 2:15 pm

Thanks George! now I can sing along with confidence that I’m using the correct words!!! Seriously I don’t think much of the advert, but then again it sticks in your head and surely that’s half the battle with TV advertising?

Donna October 23, 2009 at 9:35 am

Who is the bloke in the light blue shirt, he looks really familiar?

Gavfielding October 29, 2009 at 1:39 pm

It irritates the London type opera snobs which is why there is humour at a completely different level to the obvious puns. ha Ha HA.

Sarah November 15, 2009 at 3:36 pm

The guy in the light blue shirt was in Emmerdale…was he called Max King????

mike sampson November 22, 2009 at 3:55 pm

my 7 month old daughter absolutely loves that advert,we are lucky enough to have sky plus and so are able to stop and rewind the advert over and over and over again,look out for bethany bearman sampson on you tube and you will see how excited she gets over it.thank you go compare for the advert.lol.

mike sampson November 22, 2009 at 4:03 pm

ps .we have even got the song as our ringtones on our mobiles,yes maybe sad but it makes our daughter laugh and thats all that matters to us.

mau November 24, 2009 at 9:36 pm

fantastic advert, got to be one of th best ever.

Terry Whenman December 1, 2009 at 2:26 pm

For those old enough, me amongst them, I think the opera singer is supposed to be Joseph Locke, a notorious carouser and womaniser from way back, who they made a film about in recent years.

raul fernanades December 18, 2009 at 3:51 pm

IF I EVER NEED TO TO LOOK FOR AN INSURANCE COMP,AFTER THIS ADVERT I CAN PROMISE YOU ONE THING,I WOULD RATHER PAY MORE FOR INSURANCE THAN USE YOUR SERVICES

Ernest December 22, 2009 at 1:18 pm

That’s very good Raul. I suspect promises cheap prices, outrageous savings claims and “millions” of insurers being compared will normally be the factor when it comes to deciding which comparison site the public choses to use when it comes to the crunch – the brand recognition (despite being attached to repetitive annoyance) will also hold significant value …Confused (the breeding ground for GoCompare) pulled this off for years.

Matt December 28, 2009 at 4:31 pm

I love the advert too, and all its re-incarnations. It’s so catchy! And “Gio” is very likeable.
You’ll thank your stars that you went to GO COMPAAAAARRRREEEEEEE!!!!!

chris smith December 28, 2009 at 8:41 pm

can you tell me is it his real moustach the man from go compare

The Truth December 29, 2009 at 12:23 pm

To all the sad unintelligent fools that like/love this advert must be delusional. This advert is so annoying it really is blood boiling, it’s not just the fact that the ad and everything about the ad is awful it’s when you are watching tv at night with the kids in bed and that bloody ad comes on full blast and wakes the kids up. I f I ever caught that fat cunt gio and the adverts crew I would not be responsible for my actions. Hey gio why don’t I come to your house at 3am and scream down your ear with a megaphone!

Chris January 4, 2010 at 11:35 pm

If you are not a fan of the go compare adverts why not join this group:

Louise Grover January 9, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Dreadful advery, definately wouldn’t use this site just because of the advert. Turn channels over everytime it starts

Barry February 2, 2010 at 3:33 pm

People say “Well at least you will remember Go Compare” This is true, and the thing that I and thousands of others will remember, is to never ever visit the site. It is unbelievable that the directors of the company cannot see the harm they are doing themselves.

s... February 18, 2010 at 11:01 pm

i like it it is funny and cool it makes my day
have 2 say

Nicola April 3, 2010 at 10:26 am

This Is one of theWORST ads of all time. Please Please Just GET RID OF IT and destroy the people who created it.

Sue Martin April 7, 2010 at 11:55 am

The Go Compare advert ensures I reach for the OFF button on my radio…and the mute button when watching TV. I wouldn’t use this company if they were the last on earth and there should be a “GBH to the senses” charge placed on them
Get it off!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sue Martin

Graham April 8, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Having seen this advert and been driven mad with it, i can confirm i will NEVER contact this company for anything and i hope millions of others will join me.

Dont go compare – just GO

Jim May 15, 2010 at 8:56 pm

I just think “don’t hava the fish” is brilliant and I laugh every time I see it. Well done!

lee faulds May 18, 2010 at 2:30 pm

go compare is soooooo annoying

Comments on this entry are closed.